dinsdag 30 november 2010

De Bonte Berm


De Bonte Berm (1979) by P. Zonderwijk appears to be a classic book on Dutch appreciation of spontaneous vegetation along the motorway. Somewhere in the 1970ties this was supposedly a fringe position that became the norm: under influence of Zonderwijk's thinking the berms alongside the motorways started to be maintained in a way that would foster the growth of colourful herbs rather than grasses. 'Berm', I looked it up, in English is a Dutch loanword, 'bonte' means colourful. It is not a terribly interesting book, in fact I wonder what I should do with it -> perhaps I should wrap it up waterproof and leave it behind somewhere






1 opmerking:

  1. This was the book that introduced me to the beauty of weeds. From then on I started reading about urban flora.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen